Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ED: Picture tagger
20-08-2015, 07:42 PM
ED: Picture tagger
A few days ago I was discussing with Dobbo a feature that would be great as part of his new app. Well, Dobbo's away and I hadn't done any coding for years so I though I'd have a go because this feature would be very useful to me.

Unlike Dobbo's app this is written in VB.NET so it's only any good for PC users.

What it does is monitor your ED screenshot folder and your ED netlog, then when you take a screenshot it makes a copy of the .bmp file as a .jpg in a folder of your choice and names it "system name(date time).jpg".

The installer can be found on Mindwipe's FTP server (apps\ED_Pic_setup.exe)

************************Warning************************
This is the result of a few hours work by someone who downloaded visual studio express just for this project. If works for me on my system, it may not work for you. There is very little error checking so I'd imagine you can make it crash quite easily.
It shouldn't destroy your PC but I suppose it could...
If it's of use to you then feel free to use it.
If you don't like it, I care not. I made it for me!

I'm running it along side EDDiscovery and they don't appear to cause each other any problems.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2015, 07:47 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2015 10:25 AM by Finwen.)
RE: ED: Picture tagger
It sounds like a great feature. I have planned to create something like this to in EDDiscovery but haven't had time to do that.

Now i just need to find the address to Mindwipe's ftp server to test it Smile

Edit: I might be blind but i cant find the adress to mindwipes ftp server so please tell it so i can test this.
24-08-2015, 10:42 AM
I've been using it for a while and because my efficient way of reading the logs wouldn't work (my lack of coding skill/knowledge probably) it does start to use a lot of CPU when the logs get big.
Ideally this would be included in EDDiscovery, then I wouldn't need to remember to start both apps Wink
24-08-2015, 12:00 PM
I can help you add it to EDDiscovery if i get access to your source. And you can get write access to my repository to if you want.
24-08-2015, 02:37 PM
It's written in VB.NET using visual studio express. EDDiscovery is already doing most of the hard work (finding the system you're in) so it's just adding the path for screenshots, another for where to save the converted ones and a FileSystemWatcher to catch the creation of a new screenshot.

If you PM me your email address I'll send you the source but be prepared to be unimpressed, I learnt BASIC from the ZX81 manual Wink
24-08-2015, 04:22 PM
I learnt basic on my Texas TI 99/4A...
24-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Suggestion: Favor png over jpg as it's non lossy.

And BBC basic was my starting point... Smile

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
24-08-2015, 06:14 PM
since y'all're discussin' BASIC, I develop in UniBASIC as my full-time job. Tongue Also would love to see this be a thing, since my screenshots get super cluttered...

CMDR Shimozu Shinta
Expert | Broker | Ranger
Gonna bum around a bit before catching up with the Expedition
25-08-2015, 09:19 AM
(24-08-2015 05:59 PM)marlonblake Wrote:  Suggestion: Favor png over jpg as it's non lossy.

And BBC basic was my starting point... Smile

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

I've already included that option Wink
25-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Looking forward to test it if i can figue out the adres to Mindwarps ftp server Smile