Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Problem with Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS joystick
25-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Problem with Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS joystick
Hello Commanders,

Yesterday I just got back from an expedition, happy to be back in the bubble to go battle it out with my cobra. I was heading for a high intensity conflict zone when all of the sudden, the X-axis (for the roll) of the joystick was behaving erratically. As if their was some kind of short circuit continuously sending signal to the game.

I checked with the calibration tool and indeed the X axis is always sending a signal and behaves erratically.

Really surprised this happened since I try to be as gentle as possible with this joystick, it never took any kind of shock. I am exposing the situation to have your opinion on what could be going wrong ? Did this already happen to you guys ?

Since I am planing on buying a new one I want to make sure it's the hardware that is problematic and not anything else.

Thanks guys, fly safe !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2015, 06:15 PM
RE: Problem with Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS joystick
I didn't have this problem when I had this stick, all I can suggest is to check you haven't got a control conflict in the control options or to uninstall he joystick and reinstall it.

Don't underestimate me.

I know more than I say, think more than I speak, and notice more than you realise.

Follow my exploration on http://www.twitch.tv/wishblend

[Image: Forum%20Signiture.jpg]

http://www.alisonlauragoodman.co.uk
25-10-2015, 07:22 PM
If this has happened suddenly and no changes have been made to the bindings I'd suspect it's a hardware problem.

How old is the HOTAS? You've tried all the obvious things like unpluging & repluging the USB? Is the connecting cable between the stick & throttle damaged at all? Try adjusting the tension of the joystick (knob underneath the unit).

If none of that works, it's very likely a short in the joystick assembly, so it's time for surgery to the wiring. I've not ever opened up my T-Flight, but I don't imagine that it's particularly complex inside.

[Image: OJZOymS.jpg]
26-10-2015, 12:38 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick answer !

I took it apart and it turns out one of the three cables obviously responsible for the X axis signal transduction was simply teared out. Pretty surprised how cheap it looks inside^^ can't complain given the price but the connections look very funky. I will take it to work tomorrow and try to fix it.

Thx for the advice
29-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Mine only lasted for 4 hours of use before it just completely died. Sent it back. I'm now using my God knows how long I've had it Microsoft Sidewinder 2.
29-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Hi,

my T-Flight HOTAS X sometimes shows that effect too, but then i always had it not standig on a level surface while powering on. The T-Flight calibrates it self on power up assuming it stands on a level surface.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel C mit Tapatalk

Heinkmann Interstellar LLP
Deepspace surveying, prospecting, mining and trading
Honey Sweet Heinkmann & Bosko T. Heinkmann
Suite III-248, Ring A, Kippax Ring, HIP 72043
29-10-2016, 09:44 PM
I'm building my own hotas now, that way I'll get exactly what I want. Nothing has enough buttons unless it costs £100's
02-11-2016, 09:13 PM
If you're short of buttons, the Thrustmaster MFDs are great, cheap add-ons. Unless you fancy making your own button boxes, or using something like Roccat's Power-Grid.

[Image: EliteDangerous%20Signiture_04_2.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2016, 01:20 AM
(26-10-2015 12:38 AM)William Nicolas Wrote:  I took it apart and it turns out one of the three cables obviously responsible for the X axis signal transduction was simply teared out. Pretty surprised how cheap it looks inside^^ can't complain given the price but the connections look very funky. I will take it to work tomorrow and try to fix it.

I had a problem with the 5 button on my T-Flight HOTAS throttle becoming unresponsive. Shortly after that the 6 button started misbehaving too.

Suspecting a loose component in there, I opened up the throttle and discovered the mountings for the circuit board supporting those buttons had sheared straight through! Evidently it had already had a weakness in it when it had been assembled.

But there was no way I was contemplating returning the damn thing, not with the fiddle of large boxes and inevitable haggling that would happen about postage somewhere down the line. The cause of the problem was obvious enough, and so was the solution - I superglued the mountings back together, took an old engineering eraser I had and carved it to fit between the circuit board and the throttle casing as an extra support that also had a bit of stiff rubbery give, then screwed the throttle unit back together.

Haven't had a single problem with it since.

It does have something of a cheap construction quality, the Thrustmaster HOTAS, but it's a damn fine stick nonetheless. I certainly don't regret getting mine, even if it does now have an implant!

[Image: dvz7zC1.png]