Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Keeping Your Custom Binds
18-11-2015, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2015 08:40 PM by AndySpawn.)
Keeping Your Custom Binds
You know that annoying moment when your custom bindings are lost and you have to set up your controller/joystick/keyboard all over again?! Well I found this on my G+ feed today:

Good Guys Gaming GGG Wrote:Originally shared to https://plus.google.com/communities/1085...0226796309

Nice way to backup your binds and add some extra value!
I got tired of my bindings disappearing every so often so tried to figure it out. I think I did but let me know if any of my assumptions are wrong.
Background
I noticed that when I plugged in an Xbox controller I would often lose my X52 custom bindings.
Why does it happen?
This is an assumption first of all. It seems that when you first plug in your controller it is recognised if there is a built in binding, for example the X52. However once you change any of the bindings it gets saved as "Custom" in the Preset picklist. This is fine until you plug in another controller and tweak it, seems this adjusted scheme also gets saved as Custom overwriting your pervious custom settings.
So when you plug in the Xbox controller and change a setting it is saved as "Custom".
How to get past this?
First of all create regular backups of these files, my reminder is an upcoming update to the game:
Custom.binds
StartPreset.start
Also any custom bindings you save via the method described further down.
Find them here:
<INSTALL DRIVE>:\Users\<WINDOWS USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings
Saving multiple custom bindings without overwriting others
1 - Go to the folder with your binding files, as mentioned for me (Steam install) it is here:
<INSTALL DRIVE>:\Users\<WINDOWS USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings
2 - Copy (not Cut) the "Custom.Binds" file to another folder and rename it to what ever you want it to appear as in the Preset picklist. In my pictured example "X52af.binds" (Note you need to rename only the part before .binds. I haven't tested if you can have spaces yet.
3 - Open the newly renamed file in Notepad, or even better Notepad++ and find the line:
<Root PresetName="Custom">
Rename this to:
<Root PresetName="X52af">
Note I have replaced "Custom" with the name of the preset as applied when renaming the original Custom.binds file.
Save the file and start up ED. You can repeat this for all of your controllers.

I just tried it out with my X55 bindings:

[Image: Screenshot_0239.png]

[Image: EliteDangerous%20Signiture_04_2.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply