Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Slack and/or Discord - alternative comms tools for FGE
06-01-2016, 11:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 04:25 PM by Hellhawk.)
Slack and/or Discord - alternative comms tools for FGE
Has anyone signed up to the Mobius Slack channel?
See https://elitepve.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4132

Couldn't we set up something similar for FGE? With this Slack tool, which I know nothing about or some other like IRC or whatnot.

I know there's a TeamSpeak server, but I don't like using voice and I do feel lonely sometimes and wouldn't mind some banter once in a while.

[Image: 347.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2016, 01:58 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 02:04 AM by Hellhawk.)
RE: Slack or other chat tool?
We'll take a look at it and get back to you.

There is the in-game comms for texting, but yeah, it sucks big-time Sad

[Image: OJZOymS.jpg]
09-01-2016, 02:59 PM
I signed up on the Mobius channel and liked it, so I created a FGE channel
If others want to test, PM me with an email address you want to use (I need to send out the invites)

The name of the channel is FGE and the URL https://firstgreatexpedition.slack.com

09-01-2016, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 04:54 PM by Hellhawk.)
At the suggestion of other players I've also made a Discord server for evaluation, if anyone would like to try it out. Discord combines both voice and text comms, and has mobile apps as well as desktop and browser access (like Slack). The link below is the invitation, as long as you have joined Discord.

FGE Discord Server

(I've made this thread a sticky and changed the title to mention both apps).

[Image: OJZOymS.jpg]
09-01-2016, 05:06 PM
RE: Slack and/or Discord - alternative comms tools for FGE
If people are already on Discord, let's use that one.

13-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Just installed discord. No one on but that's no surprise.
14-03-2016, 12:05 AM
Ill give it a shot.
14-03-2016, 03:21 AM
Logged into Discord...

[Image: 16905.png]
14-03-2016, 08:18 AM
Started a testrun of Discord...

[Image: inyqADq.jpg] - Galactic Mapping -
21-04-2016, 06:30 AM
I wanted to do a quick post to highlight some of the features of the bot I've developed for our Discord site, the FGEBot. I'd gotten used to the convenience of the DWE bot, which includes commands to display information about waypoints, calculate distances, and show locations, so I knew I wanted to do that. Those made it useful, but didn't really give it anything that other Discord bots didn't have. Then I saw Ian's searchable map of regions on the forums, and it made me realize there's a wealth of other information from EDSM that would be really useful. A little statistical analysis of the nightly EDSM data dumps provided me with locations of all the regions that have at least one stellar coordinate. Combining those with Corbin's fantastic galactic maps gave me the ability to do something really interesting: Show locations as places on a map of the galaxy, instead of simply printing out where things are.

This provides the bot with the ability to identify a region on a map:
Satsuma/Aliapoh Pie: region Cepheus Dark Region
FGEBot: Region Cepheus Dark Region
[Image: cepheus_dark_region.jpg]

Or to display the location of a CMDR on a map - provided they share their location on EDSM.
Satsuma/Aliapoh Pie: showloc Satsuma
FGEBot: Satsuma was last seen in Pyrie Eurk SW-T b30-0 at 2016-04-18 08:23:43
[Image: pyrie_eurk.jpg]

I've added CMDR aliasing to the bot, as well. I'm currently using it to track the five Explorer's Legacies:
Satsuma/Aliapoh Pie: showloc Achievement
FGEBot: Achievement was last seen in Ceeckia ZQ-L c24-0
[Image: ceeckia.jpg]

These images are all generated on the fly (and cached), but I'm also writing a bulk converter to generate maps of all the regions EDSM knows about. Currently these are only in the 1000 pixel small maps, but I might extend this to use the larger maps, too. A full set of the small maps runs about 200 MB, so I'm not going to post them anywhere, but I'll happily hand them off to anyone who wants to use them for something.

The bot is currently connected to both the experimental FGE Discord server and Fleet Comm. I've gotten all the Sagittarius-Carina waypoints in it, as well, so please come give it a whirl.

Satsuma/Aliapoh Pie: dist Satsuma -> scwp22
FGEBot: Distance between Satsuma and scwp22 is 7119.73 ly

Satsuma/Aliapoh Pie: scwp22
FGEBot: Camp 22 : The Nest

Galaxy map search reference : PYRIVEAE FK-C D14-72
Distance from previous camp : 7293 LY
Distance from Earth : 55235 LY
Total route distance so far : 114210 LY

The Nest offers a good place to set down and unwind after crossing The Abyss - or to prepare for that crossing if you are travelling the route in the clockwise direction.

The landing site offers a varied topography of roling dunes and steep mountains - possibly a result of the iron magna volcanism of this world.

Since the moon is tidally locked in its orbit, the red gas-giant it orbits is forever trapped on the horizon. This foreboding red eye watching the landing site makes you wonder what creature might actually make this place its nest...

Landing site : Bryagh's Nest
Orbital body : 1 a
Surface coordinates : -11.56 / -50.83
Surface Gravity : 1.05g

[Image: SEWsqKY.jpg]

[Image: e8xKEmg.png]