Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
09-01-2016, 05:51 PM
Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Maybe I was the only one but since Horizon or possibly my move to Windows 10, which happened about the same time, whenever I would swap (alt-TAB) to a browser (or any application) and access the network during a jump, the game would quite often freeze and then Windows would pop an error message as in the title.

The game would appear to be still running in the background (including speeding towards the star if my throttle was engaged!) but the display would not refresh.
The only way out was to kill and restart the process.

Now, after a bit of fiddling around I found the post below: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=153213

Which I re=state here for clarity:

1.Simply go to your registry: Start –> Run –> Type in “Regedit”
2.Go to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers” and create a key of type “DWORD (32-bit)” or “QWORD (64-bit)” (depending on what system you’re using) and name “TdrDelay” with a value of 10 as Decimal value.
3.Reboot and play
In a nutshell it gives the GPU 10 seconds to recover/respond vs. 2 seconds (default).

Note that in my case, even though I have a 64 bit OS, setting a QWORD did nothing. In the end, I set a 32 bit variable and it *seemed* to have done the trick.
Mind you this is only after a day or so of casual testing, so YMMV.

[Image: 347.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2016, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2016 09:24 AM by Argon.)
RE: Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
I have windows 10 and have not had the same issue as you.

Although since Horizons, BIONC (SETI@home) interferes with the game, which did not happen with season 1, so I have to exit the program.

Elite Flickr group
10-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Presumabely you have a much more recent graphics card than my Radeon 5600 Smile

[Image: 347.png]
10-01-2016, 12:48 PM
I have a Nvidia GTX 960

Elite Flickr group
31-01-2016, 12:58 PM
It's a common problem with NVidia drivers I find. Had it all the time with the December 2015 driver so back off to Novembers Driver. I've had to rebuild my OS drive recently after it became corrupt so now I'm on the January driver which appears to be ok.