Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sag-Car mission relaunches april 9th 3302
24-01-2016, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2016 02:44 AM by Corbin Moran.)
Sag-Car mission relaunches april 9th 3302
Greetings everyone!

When we launched the Sag-Car mission back in august 3301, we visualized it as a full counter-clockwise circumnavigation of the galaxy, with regular meet ups and all explorers following app. the same schedule as they progressed from camp to camp. Since then we have learned a lot! We have gathered experience, tried out different approaches to schedules and meet ups and also reevaluated our strategy. This lead us to relaunch the Sag-Car mission as an open mapping project. And since then the Distant Worlds expedition across the core to the tip of the Sag-Car arm has been launched, with several members of the FGE taking part. Distant Worlds are scheduled to conclude upon the arrival at Beagle Point in the middle of april 3302.

In light of all of this I suggest the following setup for a "Phase Two" of the Sag-Car mission:

I have replotted the route and turned the Sag-Car mission into a loop (but no longer an entire circumnavigation along the edge of the galaxy). This route follows the Sag-Car arm from Lagoon to Beagle as usual, but then return via the Sagittarius-Constellation (and there are named Sagittarius stars as far out as 36k LY) to the root of the arm, and from there back to the Omega Nebula and civilization.

[Image: aQjodKH.jpg]

The following is a draft for presenting the route...

The route has been divided into four "stages".

Stage 1: Sol - Ultima Centauri
If you have a permit to the Sol system, then this route ceremonially starts (or ends) at Gallileo station in orbit around the Moon. In honour of the early interstellar space travellers the first jump should be plotted to the Alpha Centauri sytem. From there the route goes to the Lagoon Nebula and into the Sagittarius-Carina Arm. It passes a series of stunning planetary nebulae as well as a few larger nebulae. A detour south of the arm to visit the massive Eta Carina nebulae and the NGC 3199 cluster is optional. This stage ends at Ultima Centauri - a star located deep within the Centauris constellation and literally the "last centaur" on this route.

Stage 2: Ultima Centauri - Beagle Point
From Ultima Centauri this stage continues along the Sagittarius-Carina arm all the way to its tip at Beagle Point. Very few explorers have ever travelled these upper parts of the Sagittarius-Carina arm, and even the base camps of this area are at the time of writing mostly uncharted. They have been selected based on stellar data gathered by remote telescope, but you could be among the first to ever survey these areas.

Stage 3: Beagle Point - 15 Sagittarii
From Beagle Point the route crosses The Abyss via "Route 33".
(Be advised that this requires your ship to have a jump range of 33 LY unless you want to run on fumes or use jumponium. You can check the distances for each jump in the link above. The Roncevaux Crossing can be used as an alternative for ships with shorter jump range, but this will be a major detour.)
This route visits a series of notable stars within the Sagittarius constellation, including 13 Mu Sagittarii which is visible with the naked eye from Earth.
(Also note: Bleia permit region. Crossing between camp 23 and 24 difficult for ships below 30 LY range))

Stage 4: 15 Sagittarii - Hip 72043
The route now enters the root of the Sagittarius arm and continues outwards along the arm until the Omega Nebula. This area is a veritable fireworks display of multiple and very diverse nebulae. From the Omega Nebula the route crosses the Sagittarius Gap and ends (or starts) at the Institute of Galactic Exploration and Research (IGER) at Kippax Ring in the Hip 72043 system. The bar on the upper observation deck has officially been designated as "Camp 36".

If you have enjoyed taking part in the Sagittarius-Carina Mission we encourage you to sell a little of your exploration data at this station to gain friendly or allied status with IGER.

The route can be travelled in either direction and in part:

Once Distant Worlds is complete, there ought to be quite a few explorers out there at Beagle point at the tip of the Sagittarius-Carina arm. A return trip can be either via stage 2 and 1 (app. 105k LY) or via stage 3 and 4 (app. 77k LY).

New participants are encouraged to head out from civilization in either direction and continue for as far as they feel like. There are quite a few stunning nebulae to behold in stage 1 and 4, and these can be reached with a return trip of between 10k LY and 70k LY depending on how far along the route you proceed.

For those true diehards who wants to do the full semi-circumnavigation, the total route is logged as 182k LY in point to point distance between the waypoints. The actual distance travelled will be further than thsi.

Official relaunch will be saturday april 9th 3302

The mission was originally launched on august 1st 3301 but has been on hiatus for several months in order to focus on Distant Worlds. On april 9th the entire list of waypoints will be released. There is no official launch party, but participants are encouraged to send a "postcard" from their launch point on the day set out. As this is an open mapping project participants are welcome to set out on any later date.

A special event will be held on sunday juli 31st 3302
The mission is open ended and as such has no set "end date". However, to keep things a little focused sunday juli 31st 3302 has been set aside as a special event to celebrate the anniversary of the original launch. On this date all explorers wanting to take part should converge on Kippax Ring in the Hip 72043 system. Those far out in the black are encouraged to send a "postcard" from their current location and also join via subspace comms.

There will be no official schedule
Thats right, all waypoints will be disclosed at relaunch date and there is no set itinerary. People wanting to celebrate the social aspect of exploring are encouraged to arrange and host meetups on their own initiative.

There will be open TS channels available
We will make a TS server available. This will be open to all explorers and will not be protected by passwords or require special signup.

There will be an open google doc for signup, reporting progress and note interesting finds.
More info to come.

Ok, the above was a draft for presenting the mission relaunch...
This below is more internally for people within the FGE.

Based on our experiences so far I have tried to make a list of the stuff that we need to have in place - and some additional stuff that would be nice to have in place at launch:

Need to have:

Core Services (Corbin Moran)
- List of waypoints/camps for the route through the root of Sagittarius arm
- Overview map of the galaxy showing all waypoints
- Maintenance of the central google-doc with the sign-up sheet, route, camps, progress tracker, mission statement and POI registry.
I would like to retain the responsibility for these areas - but any help offered will be most welcome of course Smile

Team Speak (Wishblend)
- Setting up an open Deep Space Communications Array
- This will be the main place for both FGE and Sag-Car comms

Discord Server (Satsuma?)
- This will be an alternative for FGE and Sag-Car comms

PR about the launch and mission (Turjan, Slam Dunk)
- promoting the mission and launch of Phase Two on both FD and our own forums, Facebook group and newsletter
- this could also include mentioning it in radio spots or videos

Creation of forum threads for images and finds (Corbin)
- we have previously started a thread dedicated to each camp of the route. With four groups simultaneously traveling the route through different waypoints this will be a larger task than before. I wont mind setting up the basic structure, but it will be simpler than before, with perhabs just one thread for each stage of the mission. If anyone want to set up something more elaborate for collecting and organizing photos and videos please speak up in this thread.

Nice to have:

Official Mission Patch design (Gibbonici-Hellhawk-Dobbo-Turjan)

Official merchandise (Gibbonici)
- Gibb is working on getting a few more items into our Cafepress selection

Scouting waypoints (Mindwipe, Iureka, Andyboom, Draco)

Fleet tracker through EDSM (Satsuma?)

Centralized photo gallery or wiki compilation of images and videos (Andyboom)

Prospecting Service compiling any info on jumponium rich planets in the vicinity of the camps (???)

Organizer of meet-ups for stage 1 (???)

Organizer of meet-ups for stage 2 (???)

Organizer of meet-ups for stage 3 (???)

Organizer of meet-ups for stage 4 (???)

So basically we can set up the relaunch with very few organizers. But the more that want to contribute, the more fancy we can make it Big Grin

If you have any comments on these suggestions, or new ideas for other things we could organize as part of this, or you want to contribute in any way - please just reply to this thread Smile

[Image: inyqADq.jpg] - Galactic Mapping -
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2016, 05:32 PM
RE: Organizing "Phase two" of the Sag-Car mission
The google progress tracking sheet is set up all ready, all that is needed is the names and waypoints to be added.

Don't underestimate me.

I know more than I say, think more than I speak, and notice more than you realise.

Follow my exploration on http://www.twitch.tv/wishblend

[Image: Forum%20Signiture.jpg]

http://www.alisonlauragoodman.co.uk
26-01-2016, 12:20 AM
(25-01-2016 05:32 PM)Wishblend Wrote:  The google progress tracking sheet is set up all ready, all that is needed is the names and waypoints to be added.

Yes - before I "departed" for the DW expedition I made an effort to have everything set up in order for the framework to be in place for any member of the FGE wanting to carry on the Sag-Car mission.
If we want to launch "phase two" with minimum effort and maintenance, all that is needed is the research to select as interesting waypoints as possible.

But in a sense the google doc is what I refer to as the core-services or bare minimum for a group expedition. If we want this to be more than that we will also need to invest more in setting it up and running it. I am merely trying to meassure the interest in this and point to some suggestions for people to contribute if they feel like it. As allways there is no pressure in this, I just try to help us plan ahead and state the mission status as I see it.

During february and march I will be very busy with a lot of other stuff outside the game and won´t be as much around these parts as I usually am. That is why I have been so "busy" this january - throwing around suggestions and ideas before I am sucked into the black hole of RL obligations ... Wink

20-02-2016, 12:40 PM
I know of at least half a dozen who will want to come back home via the silentium route from the DW, myself included. I would like to help out but it looks like most things are covered.
23-03-2016, 11:39 AM
I have made a major update of the OP with a map and description of the route and mission dates and infrastruture.

23-03-2016, 12:12 PM
Nice map. I think i will return via Stage 3/4.
23-03-2016, 03:26 PM
RE: Sag-Car mission relaunches april 9th 3302
I will start advertising the Sag-Carina re-launch in the next Newsletter (six). From my perspective, I won't be joining in (I am focusing on IGER logistics) and other Newsletter content, but will keep the camp fires burning at IGER, and will keep up reports on any progress I receive for the mission.
23-03-2016, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 04:02 PM by Chrystoph.)
Is this going to conflict with the proposed Western Expedition?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=237719

[Image: 16905.png]
23-03-2016, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 05:00 PM by Wishblend.)
(23-03-2016 03:51 PM)Chrystoph Wrote:  Is this going to conflict with the proposed Western Expedition?

No it wont have a conflict as it will be in additional to it as well as being separate.

This is the google sheet project they we have been working on.

At this time it is view only as we are still constructing it, but you will get the idea.

Galaxy Routes roadmaps

If anyone else has any routes that they want to add, add a name and a list of waypoints below or send me a pm.

Also the front page for introduction still needs to be created.

Don't underestimate me.

I know more than I say, think more than I speak, and notice more than you realise.

Follow my exploration on http://www.twitch.tv/wishblend

[Image: Forum%20Signiture.jpg]

http://www.alisonlauragoodman.co.uk
23-03-2016, 07:31 PM
(23-03-2016 03:51 PM)Chrystoph Wrote:  Is this going to conflict with the proposed Western Expedition?

In a sense yes. The western expedition will explore an area of the Scutum-Centaurus arm that is very far from the route of Sag-car.

But you could always join the western expedition and then later return via one of the routes of Sag-Car.