Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
THE STAFF GROUP HAVE DECIDED TO DISBAND
25-01-2017, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2017 06:20 PM by Corbin Moran.)
Exclamation THE STAFF GROUP HAVE DECIDED TO DISBAND
READ FIRST: This started as a thread on the FGE internal staff forums. Once it was obvious that all staff members where in agreement on this, this thread was moved here to allow all FGE members to see our reasons and deliberations. Also we would like you to share your own thoughts as well.

Original post:

Sorry for the capital letters everyone, but I just wanted to make sure to get your attention Wink

At the staff meeting last week, the issue of the future of the FGE came up.

We tried to assess our current situation:

- We still get a small but steady trickle in of new members on the forums, facebook group and FGE Explorers in-game private group

- However, the forums are nearly dead. Activity is primarily on facebook and discord and that activity is almost exclusively out-of-game socializing - no new projects or group events in the game are popping up.

- Two exceptions to this are the IGER standing orders updates and the Sag-Car mission. But even these do not generate any FGE forum activity. The Sag-Car Mission is down to 10 active members. We do not know how many are actively engaged in supporting IGER.

- In January we made a call for FGE members to support IGER in the Colonia CG. Despite solid effort from Wishblend and Mindwipe we did not even make it into the top 20 of factions - an indication that FGE members have become either very dispersed or unwilling to band together in times of need.

- Most active FGE staff members are also engaged in other projects with the wider exploration community - from CCN management and exploration wing, to movie making, Galactic Mapping Project, EDDiscovery etc. These are awesome projects and stand well on their own - they are however not something that unites the FGE in a common sense of purpose.

- Following more than two years of outstanding service to the FGE, Wishblend has decided to step down as forum and facebook admin. With her upcomming withdrawal from the staff group, the FGE will have lost the last active member of the original staff group.

Following some careful deliberation of these points all attending staff members (Wishblend, Corbin, Mindwipe, AndyBoom) voted in favor of the following:

- the FGE staff group will disband. We will shake hands, drink a shot to commemorate the good times and look forward to crossing paths again in other constellations than the FGE.

- the FGE will step down from having a point of contact with FD and stop attending the group leaders forum

- we will seal the FGE forums as historical archives and direct people towards our facebook group (and also twitter if it is possible to set it up in a simple way). The forums will remain as read-only archives as long as Gibbonici is willing to host them.

- we will move the Sagittarius-Carina Gallery from a paid service unto free hosting at Mindwipe (we are grateful for your offer to do this)

- we will update the description of the FGE on the forum to reflect these changes - emphasizing that the FGE has moved on to become a loose player community.

- Following these changes, the only administrative tasks that remains for the continued upkeep would be: payment of forum hosting (Gibb) and someone stepping up to help as admin for the facebook group (Gibb is the group owner, but the group probably need one other person to help with approving new members and posts).

- Updates for IGER and Sag-Car will continue as long as someone is willing to do them, but it will not be an FGE staff position. (Corbin promises to maintain the Sag-Car Mission hub as well as ED forum updates as long as there are still active explorers taking part).

To give other members of the staff group a chance to let their voices be heard, this decision is on hold until we have heard from everyone still around. Please let your voice be heard if you disagree or offer an alternative path for the future of the FGE.

On behalf of the active staff group
- Corbin

[Image: inyqADq.jpg] - Galactic Mapping -
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2017, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2017 12:08 PM by Corbin Moran.)
RE: THE STAFF GROUP HAVE DECIDED TO DISBAND
Notification sent to Gibbonici, SlamDunk and Turjan via facebook, and to Satsuma and Julian Winther via pm on the ED forums.
(I do not have contact info on the remaining staff members).

25-01-2017, 12:28 PM
Regarding the point about the Sagittarius-Carina Gallery, I've had a think and there's little point in moving it to a different host. While I like the website, it's probably better and easier to simply make an Instagram account or something to use as a gallery (like Mindwipe mentioned). I actually already gave this a try (at https://www.instagram.com/elitedangerous_fge/ ) and the response seems positive. Let me know if you guys agree/disagree. If you agree, the website gallery will go down in march and I'll continue with Instagram.

If we can get access to the existing FGE Twitter account, I'll happily manage that as well, seeing as I'm already quite familiar with the ED community on Twitter.

[Image: 04122326b2.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-01-2017, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2017 01:05 PM by Corbin Moran.)
(25-01-2017 12:28 PM)AndyBoom Wrote:  Regarding the point about the Sagittarius-Carina Gallery, I've had a think and there's little point in moving it to a different host. While I like the website, it's probably better and easier to simply make an Instagram account or something to use as a gallery (like Mindwipe mentioned). I actually already gave this a try (at https://www.instagram.com/elitedangerous_fge/ ) and the response seems positive. Let me know if you guys agree/disagree. If you agree, the website gallery will go down in march and I'll continue with Instagram.

If we can get access to the existing FGE Twitter account, I'll happily manage that as well, seeing as I'm already quite familiar with the ED community on Twitter.

I am not on instagram or twitter myself, but by all means do it Smile. You made the gallery Andy, so I very much think this is your call to make.

- A lot of the images from the Sag-Car POIs are slowly making their way into the galactic mapping project. If you have any you would like to recommend, please throw a post into the ED forum Gal-Map thread with a name of the POI and the suggested image (full size). We convert these to 640x340 pixels for the EDSM map, but lets the post link back to the original images as well.

25-01-2017, 03:04 PM
Thanks guys. Apologies for my recent inactivity, I needed a break from ED. From my perspective this makes sense. I really enjoyed my brief time here, among these really amazing people and projects. I have my patches and am still looking for a jacket to put them on Smile so thanks for the opportunity.

The FGE is the best thing I did in ED, so thanks for providing that. Best of luck all!

[Image: Signature-2016-08-01_zpshbr3g2uj.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-01-2017, 06:47 PM
It has been a great journey and a fun time guys.

Don't underestimate me.

I know more than I say, think more than I speak, and notice more than you realise.

Follow my exploration on http://www.twitch.tv/wishblend

[Image: Forum%20Signiture.jpg]

http://www.alisonlauragoodman.co.uk
25-01-2017, 08:14 PM
I just want to say that Wishblend has done an amazing job over the past few years, and everyone who has contributed to everything the FGE has been deserves the highest regards. And that includes all past and present Staff Group member, everyone who has been involved in the various projects and missions and each and every member who has contributed anything from forum posts upwards.

It came a long, long (long!) way from a simple forum post on the beta forums all that time ago. I certainly didn't expect any of this, and I'm sure nobody else did either!

I wish I'd had more time to be involved in everything, but the kind of hands-on game that ED is stopped being compatible with my real life a long time ago. I get a few lucky periods when I can slink off to the stars for a few days, but they are rare and I have to resist the temptation to think they're not. I've been able to enjoy the game vicariously from a distance through you guys, so a big thank you to you all for that too Wink

I'm happy to keep the forums etc up at least for another year, but I think it may be worth closing them to new members unless someone has the time and inclination to act as an admin. It would be shame to have them fall to vandalism considering the number of posts and all the memories everyone has of them.

The Facebook group is a lot easier to moderate and I've always kept my hand in with that, so that can continue as it is.

I also want to say that out of a lifetime of gaming stretching back to 1976, some of my best gaming memories are those of the mass exploration trips we did back in the early days. Looking for planets using parallax spotting before discovery scanners were a thing, figuring out navigation techniques before (and after!) route planning was introduced, and even trying to get more than 7 people in the same instance at the same time Wink

The last time I had some time to plough into the game was just before Xmas, when I made my journey to Colonia and then to the Core (for the first time!). It just so happened that Vonner was making a similar journey from one of the distant arms at the time. We chatted for a week or so over the in-game chat while we were jumping and discovering, and by a curious twist of coincidence ended up arriving at Jaques Station half an hour apart.

I'd like to think that this kind of thing will be the legacy of the First Great Expedition - old members out in the void, connected by something that goes beyond time and space.

I'll certainly be looking out for you guys when I'm out there.

25-01-2017, 09:10 PM
We've always said it : Herding Cats Big Grin

I think the fact that between us we've been able to take the FGE as far as we have at all is mind-boggling, given the erratic nature of explorers in general.

But then this always was a very special group of explorers. We literally were going where no one had gone before, and not only that, we didn't even know if such a journey was even possible never mind practical! In a very real sense, we were a dream within a dream...

But we set out regardless, and I'm very glad to have been part of our expedition into the unknown.

And I'm also very proud to have been able to contribute to that journey, in my artsy way. My FGE patch has pride of place on the sleeve of my Elite jacket, and every time I look at it, I remember our journeys - not just our journeys across the galaxy, but also our journeys together here, as a group. It's a magical thing, that patch : it's not a commonplace symbol like a Star Trek fan patch - no, my FGE patch is much more...real, you know? Because it has a personal significance. Yes, it's about a world of fictional science, but it also signifies a real group of people, a group who set out together on a journey into the unknown.

It was Gibbonici's dream that set us on that path, and we all followed it together, never knowing where it would lead, and certainly not knowing if we had enough tools to get us there, but none of that mattered - it was our journey, and so we made our own path as we travelled.

And now, at this point in time, I feel we can truly look back and see that the FGE's spirit and drive and belief in ourselves has blazed a unique trail that fully justifies our motto : "where we go, others can only follow" Smile

[Image: dvz7zC1.png]
25-01-2017, 09:13 PM
A sad day, but understood. I assume the Facebook group remains as "FGE". I will continue the IGER faction updates through Facebook
26-01-2017, 05:16 AM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2017 05:17 AM by Satsuma.)
I'm a little wistful at this decision, though I have to say that I've been seeing this coming for some time. When I first started playing Elite (in Gamma), the FGE was pretty much the only game in town for exploration, and I learned a tremendous deal from the people who started it: How to fuel scoop, how to find planets via parallax, but most of all how to have fun no matter what I was flying - I think my first post mentioned that I was exploring in a Sidewinder.

Corbin and I have chatted over the last few months about the dropping activity in the FGE. I think it would be easy to look at that and heave a sigh and think "Well, I guess it's dying off", but I don't really see it that way. There is a solid exploration community on the official forums now, and many of the helpful old salts there are FGE members. There are multiple large discord communities dedicated to exploration, and many of the people involved in making them vibrant are FGE members. Distant Worlds (organized by an FGE alumni) introduced a thousand pilots - many of whom had never been more than 1000 light years from the bubble - to long distance exploration and created a passion for organized expeditions. While there were earlier expeditions (including the Sagittarius-Carina mission in its original form), Distant Worlds really ushered in an age of expeditions and many of those feature FGE members at their core.

One thing I've seen which I find particularly interesting is the outside perception of the FGE. When Distant Worlds was getting started, many of us were unsure what to think about it - hadn't we been doing that very thing for all this time, albeit without publicity? Many of us began to post on the FDev forums and were surprised at the public perception of us. Some knew about our early expeditions, but thought we had long since closed up shop. Others heard we were extremely elitist, with a very heavy bureaucracy. It was surprising to me what people came up with, knowing what the FGE really was. But I remember when we decided to engage with the wider community. To open up and involve ourselves. We made the Sagittarius-Carina mission into a public route. We created a fleet within Distant Worlds for pilots who wanted to take their time with the trip. We began to show the rest of the community who we were and what we did, and gradually perceptions of us began to match reality: We're a community of explorers who had banded together before there was a wider community, encompassing some of the most knowledgeable and fantastic explorers in the game. And gradually we started popping up everywhere.

What started out as the sole real explorer's organization in the game has scattered seeds which have grown into a vibrant exploration community. We may be disbanding, but we are not dying. We are, as Corbin said, dispersing into the wider exploration community. We were first. Many of us no longer play very much, but many of us do, and we have collectively played a pivotal role in creating this amazing exploration community that exists in the game.

Go look at the expeditions that have flown in the past few years, and the expeditions which are still being planned. Look at FleetComm, and the CCN, videos like Turjan's Travels, and the bustling activity that is the FDev exploration forum. That is the world that we helped to create. I couldn't be more proud to be a part of it, to call myself an FGE alumni, and to have flown with all of you.

[Image: e8xKEmg.png]